Located in the south central region of the United States, Texas is bordered by three other states and one country: in the north by Oklahoma, in the east by Louisiana, in the west by Arizona, and in the south by Mexico. Also along Texas’s border is the Gulf of Mexico. With a treasured history, Texas has a variety of sights to offer: rich agricultural heritage, wide ranges of countryside, and pristine urban cities. Texas offers something for everyone to enjoy.
Information about the State of Texas
- Climate: Texas’s climate varies widely from region to region in the state. In Houston in October, the temperature can range from 63 °F to 79 °F (17 °C to 26 °C).
- Languages: There is no official language for the state of Texas. English is most widely and commonly used, followed by Spanish.
- Time Zone: Texas’s time zone is the Central Standard Time (CST), which is 6 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT -6)
- Currency: Texas uses the United State Dollar (USD). Currency exchange can be done at a bank, big hotels, or any currency exchange office in Houston. All participants are advised to check the current exchange rate before leaving for the Congress.
- Information on exchange rates is available here.
- Credit Cards: Visa and MasterCard credit cards are accepted in most hotels, restaurants, and shops.
- Transportation: You can pay for taxis with cash or credit card.
- Tax: Taxes are not included in the cost of goods.
- Local Calls:
- City Calls
- Mobile Operators
- International Country Calling Code
- Electricity: Standard voltage and frequency and plug types. We recommend bringing an appropriate adapter with you.
- Smoking: In Texas, smoking is allowed only in specially designated and equipped areas in a number of public places (buildings of public authorities, healthcare, culture, education, trade, and consumer services, catering facilities, as well as all types of stations, metro stations, etc.).
- Tips: The usual amount for a tip is 15 – 20% of the bill in cafes and restaurants. Tipping taxi drivers, receptionists, and cleaners is optional.
- Emergency Numbers: Call 911 for fire department, police, and ambulance.